12/3/15

Essential GoPro Travel Accessories


I have spent quite sometime trying to get my GoPro set up as simple and useful as possible. The accessories pictured above are the ones that I have found to be essential for any trip with a GoPro Camera. I take them with me on every trip to make sure I'm prepared to take all the important shots and I'm able to keep filming all day.







Camera

The main GoPro Essential is the GoPro itself. In this case, its the Hero 4 Black. I like this one because it allows you to take 4K video and provides more features of any other GoPro camera. The only other camera that compares is the GoPro HERO4 SILVER which has a touch screen on the backside but forgoes the 4K ability. I recommend getting the black out waterproof case so as to make the camera not stand out as much. The blackout housing is not pictured above but I use it a lot. The link is also provided above.


Backpack Clip


The first and most important accessory, and the one I use the most, is the Peak Design Capture mount. It can attack itself to any strap which makes it is the best mount for backpacking. It can also be used to hold your GoPro on your hip by attaching it to your belt. I personally used it on my backpack strap. See the article I wrote on the Caputre mount here. I would record and take pictures as I walked around cities and I was quickly able to hold it in my hand in case I wanted to take special shots. Its placement on strap is less awkward than wearing it on your head and you still get all the cool shots with your hands in it. I attached a wrist strap like the one on the handle below.

Bobber Handel


Homemade Bobber Handle

The bobber handle I use is homemade. I made it from a carbon fiber pole and a grip that stays grippy even when wet. The grip doesn't absorb any water either which makes less mess when out of the water. Although these are not sold, you can still get a similar Bobber - Floating Hand Grip on amazon. The lanyard is a Joby DSLR Wrist Strap (Charcoal) which I also got on amazon. The wrist strap is made for DSLR cameras but it works great with GoPros. It makes me comfortable knowing there's a smaller chance of dropping the camera. Maybe one day I'll make several of these homemade carbon fiber bobbers and provide a limited offering.

Clamp


This is the most versatile clamp I have found for the GoPro. It is used with all sorts of cameras and electronics but they also have a GoPro attachment for it. Its popularity and wide use alone proves its a good clamp. It can clamp around bars or mostly any lip or plank Its easily adjustable so you can get pretty much any angle with it. Its made of dense durable plastic which will last you a long time. Its not as bulky as other clamps or general attachments and can tighten for a very strong grip.

Extensions


These arms are very versatile. They are extensions you can add to pretty much any other mount. I'd much rather have these than be stuck with a long pole and have to carry that around. Extending GoPro poles don't collapse smaller than a foot long and generally are not intended for underwater use or trap water when used underwater. I wouldn't want to be stuck carrying around a foot long pole all the time so for me these are a much better alternative. 

Tripod

GoPro 3 Way Removeable Tripod

This tripod is part of the GoPro 3-Way Grip, Arm, Tripod sold by GoPro. It is small and very convenient. I didn't like the 3 Way very much because even though it collapses its still too bulky for me. Unless I go skiing and need a very robust adjustable extension arm then I prefer not to use the 3 Way and go with a smaller set up. With this said, I find using the tripod as a handle works really well since its small and can be placed in your pocket. Because its made out of plastic its it doesnt have as much grip as I would like. The POV Tripod Grip is a good alternative. It has all the features in a handle / tripod for GoPros.

Extra Juice

 

If you plan on filming or taking pictures with your GoPro for more than a couple hours at a time then I recommend one of the first things you get to be an extra battery or two. Unless I let the camera run for a long time I noticed I only needed two batteries. Because I went on a long trip and sometimes forgot to charge the batteries I have 3 total. They provide enough juice for any instance. I use the dual battery charger and the GoPro charging cable that came with the camera. Not all cables are the same and some cables charge slower than others so if you are using different cable just make sure its rated to the same specks are the one that comes with the camera. The link above takes you the dual charger and it includes an extra GoPro Hero 4 Battery. the last thing you want to happen is miss documenting a part of a very exciting day. No one likes that.

Extra Memory


Using the same logic as the batteries, I also recommend having one or two spare micro SD cards. The link above takes you to a resonable priced 32 GB micro SD card. Two of these is enough to handle almost all daily GoPro activities.

Misc Bolts

Grab Bag of Bolts

With all of the mounts and types of setups I use, I sometimes require the extra bolt or screw. I recommend taking a couple of extra with you when you go on trips. You can just grab all the extra ones from the accessories and put them in a small bag. The last thing you want is to lose a bolt and then not be able to use a mount for the rest of the trip.  

Anti-Fog Inserts


If you go on vacation or trip, odds are that you are going to be in the water and you are going to want to take your GoPro to film the fun! Although water wont get inside your GoPro through the housing, you might run into some condensation problems. This can lead to foggy shots that can potentially ruin some really nice footage. Put an anti fog insert in the housing with the camera to prevent any condensation or foggy shots. Keep some of these on hand in a small sealed plastic bag. I keep them in the bag they came in.

Remote

GoPro Smart Remote

This isn't in my current set up. I find it to be kind of expensive so I haven't decided to dish out the money for it but if I did it would prevent a lot of grief. The GoPro app can control your WiFi enabled GoPro and can act as a remote but it drains your phone battery. I didn't mind pressing the record button and then pointing the camera elsewhere but this always gives you a couple of seconds in your film where you can see you fiddling with the camera. This can be taken away in the editing but creates more work. The biggest advantage is when taking pictures. you can set it somewhere out of reach and snap a picture. Selfies on a pole or pictures at a distance require you to take pictures with a remote. One work around is to set the GoPro to Video + Photos and set it to take a photo every couple seconds. Just start it and then do different poses for some time until you have all the photos you want and then stop recording. 

I hope you find this article helpful! Comment if you have any questions or feedback. 

No comments:

Post a Comment